When our customers first enter our showroom looking for a new carpet, many of them feel a little overwhelmed by the choices – this is understandable – with so many colors, textures and materials to choose from, where do you start?
The first question that many people ask is “which one is best”? Obviously the answer to that will vary depending on where the carpet will be used, but for most family home carpet installations, the answer is easy: If you are looking for carpeting that will bring elegance and sophistication to your space, yet is still easy to care for, you should consider a wool carpet.
Wool carpet brings so many benefits to a home that it is hard to look past it when it comes to choose flooring that gives that luxurious look yet can stand up to everyday life.
The Benefits of Wool Carpet
From health benefits to its long lasting endurance, wool is more than a flooring choice.
- A Healthy Carpeting Choice – Wool is a natural material that is hygienic and non allergenic, it has no harmful gasses and deters the growth of bacteria and dust mites. Wool also has the added benefit of extra grip, this is especially important for things such as balance, good posture, and accident prevention. Wool is a great choice for asthma sufferers thanks to its natural filtering ability.
- Flame Resistant Material – When was the last time you saw a sheep on fire in a field? Wool carpets are naturally flame resistant and if it does come in contact with fire, it has the ability to self extinguish itself thanks to its upper pile forming. This is a thick insulating char layer that has the ability to inhibit fire. Thanks to its natural makeup wool will not melt if it comes into contact with heat.
- A Carpet that Will Last – When you think about how wool works to protect sheep from weather and other environmental factors, you can see just why wool is so strong. Wool carpet will last for years, keeping its luxurious look; this is thanks to its natural strength and ability to withstand heavy foot traffic.
- Wool is Environmentally Friendly – Wool is a renewable fiber, growing year round and being removed in the summer months. It protects the sheep during colder months and can then be used for other products, such as carpeting. Wool carpets are also biodegradable and recyclable, once your carpet has spent many years serving you and your family, it can then be turned into other products, rather than contributing to landfill (yes, carpets can be recycled!). The energy usage that goes into producing wool is much lower than other carpet materials such as nylon, keeping the carbon footprint very low when it comes to harvesting wool and producing products. Wool is one of the most environmentally friendly flooring products available.
- Wool is Luxurious – Wool is a great option if you are looking for the look and feel of luxury in your home. It is soft under foot, yet extremely durable. Due to its beautiful protective layer it can easily shrug off dirt and resist stains, and will trap dirt and dust in its layers until it is vacuumed up. When it comes to wool, you get a carpet that doesn’t only feel soft and luxurious under foot, but will also look beautiful for many years to come.
The best way to understand the benefits of wool carpet is to experience it. We have wide variety of wool carpets on display at the Interiors & Textiles showroom. Come and see for yourself how a luxurious wool carpet can transform the look and feel of your home.